school year group ages
If you do not think your child is ready to start school by then, they can start part-way through the year or part time – as long as they are in full-time education by the time they reach ‘compulsory school age’.
Contact the local council or school to ask for your child to start later. They’ll decide if your child should start in reception year or year 1, based on what’s in the best interests of your child.
All children of compulsory school age must be enrolled in school and attend every day – this is the law. All children must attend school up until they are 16 years old. Sixteen and 17 year olds must be enrolled in school or a training organisation, be employed or be in a combination of school/training/employment.
- starting Kindergarten – 4 years old by 30 June 2021
- starting Pre-primary, the first year of compulsory school – 5 years old by 30 June 2021
- starting Year 7, the first year of secondary school
- changing schools.
- Placement in Year Group is subject to completion of enrolment process and testing and final approval by the school.
- When transferring from another school in Dubai, your child’s placement at the Arcadia School will be based on the appropriate year group as per details already held in the KHDA register system.
- As per the ministerial decree (820) of 2014 from the federal government of the UAE, we will also accept applications and enrollments for December 31st age cut-off date for Foundation Stage 1 – Year 8 applicants. All applicants will be assessed in accordance with the standards laid out in the EYFS curriculum for Foundation Stage and the English National Curriculum for Key Stage 1, 2 & 3
Child’s date of birth: — / Academic Year: – 1
Girls must turn 3 during the calendar year of entry
Equivalent UK Class Groups
Every child, from the year after they turn 5 must be enrolled at and attending school, or an approved home education program. Children can also attend Kindergarten from 4 years of age.
This means that a child who has turned five on or by 1 January in any year must start Prep in that year, or be provided with approved home education.